Wednesday, November 19, 2014

“Sitting is the new smoking”

My modified workstation with movable monitor arms and a keyboard tray that elevates. (Sorry for the mess.)
Part of the reason I jump started this blog has to do with this "disease." No, it's not really a disease just as Degenerative Disk Disease isn't one, but one creates the other. If it weren't for Sitting Disease I wouldn't have Degenerative Disk Disease in my lower back. If it weren't for Degenerative Disk Disease I wouldn't have gone to a physical therapist. If it weren't for my physical therapist I wouldn't have discovered yoga, if it wasn't for yoga, Man!, there's a lot of great things that yoga is responsible for.Only one of them is getting my doctor to sign off on getting "reasonable accommodations" at work, where I can stand and do the same work I've been doing sitting down for decades.

Here's an article from The Sacramento Bee on "Sitting Disease." I took the quote “sitting is the new smoking” as the blog title. Yes, it's over-stated, but it gets the point across. Now, get off your ass and get into a yoga class!

No comments: